Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Deep Freeze

Dang! What a way to usher in the New Year. I hope all have made it through the deep freeze safely. And if that wasn't bad enough the amount of snow that has fallen, at least here in Chicago (23 1/2 inches from 12/25/13 through 1/5/14) has buried many a car, made sidewalks hazardous  and the infamous and contraversal parking meters too dangerous to reach.  I hope that any individual issued a ticket for not paying the meter has taken a picture of the unsafe conditions and puts up a fight or if necessary, take legal action. Maybe the city and the privatized parking meter company will get their heads out of their backside and realize how badly they have treated the residents and visitors.
That off my chest, what a thrill it was to pull out my bin of "warmies" and be able to were a different hat or scarf  during the deep freeze. One of these scarves, from my very early days of knitting, found a new home when I saw a young man riding his bike. I could not help myself and asked him what was so important that he had to be on a bicycle in below zero temperatures. He responded he was going to work AND was glad to get the extra hours because he was saving up for a car.  I was in complete awe!
It was then I noticed he didn't have a scarf and off in full mother mode I went. I unwrapped the scarf from my neck (luckily it wasn't pink and frilly)  and gave it to him, wishing him safe travels and told him I'm sure his parents are proud of him. He stood there a moment before checking it out. He smiled in disbelief and quietly said thanks. We started off in opposite directions when I heard him shout, "I like all the different blues!" I got in my car feeling all warm and fuzzy, thinking about my next scarf!
Soooo, searching through way too many patterns, I came across an oldie but well loved basket weave pattern and depending on the yarn choice it is a pattern that can be worn by all. Here's the link:
http://pipersgirls.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/giant-basket-weave.pdf




 Finally finished the Purdue socks for my son. Wow that boy has got some big feet!
I chose to do an after thought heel and matching black toe and really like the results. Definitely a method I will use again. It's a great way to use up some stash yarn whilst creating a one of a kind look. I folded down one sock so that you can see how the yarn is carried in stranded knitting. I had to check the tension from time to time to ensure consistency.  I found it too easy to tighten things up along the way. I'm sure with more practice my tension will stabilize.

In the mean time, I am working on socks for my husband and myself. Hubby has a couple pairs of thick wooly socks but this is his first pair using sock yarn weight. It's so cute how excited he is.



With my to do knit list growing by leaps and bounds, I say good bye with warm wishes and a reminder to be kind to one another!
Til the next visit,
CeCe




No comments:

Post a Comment