Friday, November 29, 2013

It's Worth It!



Any host will tell you, a lot of time is spent preparing, cooking and cleaning for guests. I am so thankful to my family for all their help. My daughter and I spent productive, quality time cooking  for our Thanksgiving feast. As suspected, a 13 pound turkey was the star of the evening. The supporting cast included mashed potatoes, candied yams and a new paleo recipe for sweet potatoes. Also appearing, a side of steamed asparagus, bowl of cooked carrots and onions, delicious stuffing from a passed down family recipe and a wonderful tray of chilled shrimp brought by our friends, yum! I baked a pumpkin pie and two boxes of cheesecake samplers accompanied my Uncle.

My daughter diced and sliced carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms and potatoes as required for each dish, a time consuming task to be sure, while I set the holiday table. My son and husband tackled the guest bathroom, vacuuming the carpeting and couch and finally sweeping and mopping the kitchen floor (once my daughter and I were finished in there). Our dog had the job of being underfoot and fighting to be the official taste tester. A position that is out of reach as we don't feed her much people food, and still, she never gives up, what perseverance.






Don't you just love the aroma of a Thanksgiving meal! Our appetites grew with each passing minute as we waited, with great anticipation, for our guests to arrive. We were soon joined by my uncle and a couple of friends, all with tummies yearning to be filled. Not a moment was wasted before we were sitting and enjoying a fabulous feast fit for a king.

Though it was a small group compared to past holiday gatherings, (learning to cook for less then twenty was tricky) the laughter and over all good time was enormous! I hope your Thanksgiving was filled with love and good cheer!
Now to get started for our annual Christmas Day gathering menu.

With eternal gratitude for those I love and adore,
CeCe

Paleo Sweet Potato Wedges
Scrub potatoes, Do Not Peel the skin. www.naturalnews.com/034135_sweet_potatoes_nutrition.html
Slice potato into wedges: cut in half, then each half into quarters yielding eight wedges/potato
*potato can also be cut into slices if preferred.
Place wedges on shallow baking sheet on a single layer, brush lightly with organic olive oil.
Melt 1 tablespoon of raw honey per directions on product label and drizzle over wedges.
Crush 1/4 cup of raw organic pecans and sprinkle on wedges.
Bake in 325 degree oven on center rack for one hour.  ( oven temps vary so check potatoes after 45 minutes)
Potatoes should be soft in the middle but the skins should have a bit of a "chew".
Serve while warm

No comments:

Post a Comment